Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Change of Pace

With the hiking classes done for the season, I have to reflect on where I've been and where the heck I am headed. Teaching for COCC's Community Learning program provides me with a bit of employment while enjoying the outdoors. Although I look forward to winter's snowshoeing classes, I'm trying to get back on the writing track.


I have a few projects lined up: rewrite for Canyon Country Wildflowers, monthly articles for the Moab Happenings, and a few other articles. Mostly I hope to work on several book projects, one that involves doing a Big County Year.

A Big Year is a birder's attempt to see numerous species in one geographic area, like North America. A huge undertaking in both time and finances, a Big Year birder can surpass 700 species during a good year. Of course, there are other Big Years on a smaller scale, and that is what I'll be shooting, uh birding, for.


I'll be keeping an updated tally, although my goal is not so much the final number, but rather getting to know the birds in Deschutes County better. Some for the first time. I'm going to keep a log and blog about my adventures, separate yard birds from those observed in the field, and keep tabs on the avian happenings around this Bend.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Yo Damian,
    Good luck on the Big County Year. Sounds fun and nice shot of the waxwing.
    DBW

    ReplyDelete